In a competitive real estate market, it's important to have a strong team behind you. One key member of that team is your mortgage lender. Here's how you can utilize your mortgage lender to make the best home offer in a competitive market.
1. GET PRE-APPROVED Getting pre-approved for a mortgage is essential in a competitive market. It shows sellers that you're a serious buyer and have the financing in place to make an offer. Work with your mortgage lender to get pre-approved before you start shopping for homes.
2. DETERMINE YOUR BUDGET Your mortgage lender can help you determine how much house you can afford based on your income, debts, and other financial factors. Knowing your budget upfront can help you avoid getting in over your head with a home purchase. Also, important for your lender to know what you wish to pay per month, not only what you are approved for.
3. OBTAIN A PRE-APPROVAL LETTER Once you're pre-approved for a mortgage, ask your lender to provide you with a pre-approval letter. This letter shows sellers that you have financing in place and can close on the home quickly.
4. CONSIDER DIFFERENT LOAN OPTIONS Your mortgage lender can help you explore different loan options, such as jumbo, VA, or conventional loans. Depending on your situation, one loan type may be more advantageous than another in a competitive market.
5. DISCUSS CONTINGENCIES Contingencies are conditions that must be met before the sale of a home can be completed. Work with your mortgage lender to discuss contingencies, such as a home inspection or appraisal, and determine which ones you're comfortable with including in your offer.
6. DISCUSS APPRAISAL GAP COVERAGE and how to best utilize your down payment and/or mortgage insurance to help bridge that gap with the least financial impact.
7. BE PREPARED TO ACT QUICKLY In a competitive market, time is of the essence. Be prepared to act quickly when you find a home you're interested in. Work with your mortgage lender to ensure you can close on the home as quickly as possible.
In conclusion, your mortgage lender can be a valuable resource when it comes to making the best home offer in a competitive market. By getting pre-approved, determining your budget, getting a pre-approval letter, exploring loan options, discussing contingencies, and being prepared to act quickly, you can position yourself as a strong buyer and increase your chances of securing your dream home.
Caliber Home Loans Inc.